Saturday, July 14, 2012

letterpress studio update

As I was moving into the new studio a skip appeared at the old church facing me. “Got anything I could use?” I asked. “Help yourself!” was the reply! Well I was like a kid in a sweetshop! I came away with 2 very old trestle tables, 3 other old tables, 4 work tables, 2 cupboards and 3 chairs, all for free! Could have had a couple of pianos but thought not I'm hiring a crane again ;)
I love the old cupboard above, perfect storage, this little old chair probably came from the time the church was a school, wonder how many caned bottoms have sat on that!
Above will be my designated photography area with the northern light and white washed walls it will make a perfect backdrop
To some it may be junk, but to me it has history and tells story. The table above was used by Walter, an artist. I bought my first house off him many moons ago! The top of the table is actually paper on which he has painted a wood grain effect. he was a master at marbling and woodgrain painted finishes. I love the paint drips, even the cobwebs! For many years he worked for Thwaites Brewery as a painter and decorator, but at nearly 60 he went back to college and did a fine art degree and later went on to teach. He was a great inspiration to me when I decided to go back to uni at the ripe old age of 43! So when I found his table in a little room he used in the church, I had to have it. To me it represents my past and the start of hopefully a bright new future...

13 comments:

  1. Serendipity! It all goes together so perfectly.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice word! Thanks Hannah, if only you lived nearer, plenty of room for two! ;) x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks Lauren and for taking the time to comment ;) x

      Delete
  3. Score! Your new studio is shaping up quite nicely !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing or the place would look empty ;) Painted a wall black today with the little one, now sure who was covered in paint most the wall or Kyle! x

      Delete
  4. Oooooooooh! It looks great and fab timing with the skip finds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just pondering where i could get myself lots of cheap tables from, perfect timing! Free even better! ;) x

      Delete
    2. Very, very tempting, Jax!!! Pee-ed off with rainy old London town and jealous as hell! Looks so cool and minimal. I'm surrounded with so much clutter I feel like I'm drowning sometimes.
      (Speaking as a soft southern bird though - Hope you've got a heater cos you'll freeze your bits off in the winter!)
      x

      Delete
    3. Living in the NW isn't much better either, always raining because of the Pennine Hills ;) I've gone and painted a wall black because it was too minimal! Wanted a cosy corner, especially when the winter comes! ;o) xxx

      Delete
  5. Nice story! I think that if you're on the right way things come & arrive when you need it...And I think too, that openning you're mind is the best way to be on the right way...
    Everybody don't see beauty in the same things...But I see it like you in the little things, in the "beautiful" persons instead of seeing beauty in "new stuff"... Be what you are & not what you have...You're story make me happy!

    Bad, bad english but the idea is there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good English ;) x We are like minded and romantic at heart!
      I saw a quote once by Lethaby which I loved, it said...
      ”Cherish the past
      Adorn the Present
      Create for the future”
      jax x

      Delete
  6. Looks great. It seems that you already had an idea on how to renovate this for your studio.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by, love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts with Thumbnails